Thursday, November 25, 2010

To Do: Eat Until You Explode

Location: Bed (home)
Listening to: Cheesy top 40 music on the radio
Today's Odd Holiday(s): National Parfait Day; That Day Where American's Worship Turkeys (Thanksgiving)


Hello, Blog. How are you today? Got big plans? I know I do. Today is the day I plan on eating until I physically explode from consumption. Because today is the day we, as Americans, celebrate our survival of the first hard season on the soil of this great country we now know as the United States. What we usually don't celebrate is what happened to the folks who were already living here when we got here (if, for some reason, you are unaware, let me summarize: exploitation; spread of disease; rape; death; etc.).

If you ignore that bit of unpleasantness, the holiday really does have a nice sentiment. It's one day to focus on what you are grateful for in your life. And, this year, I have a lot to be grateful for. This is one of those times when a list will be easier, so that's what I'm going to do.

What Abbie Is Thankful For This Thanksgiving:
  • My health. As some of you might remember me mentioning, a year ago today I started having this huge series of panic attacks. It lead to me missing about two months of school, because the doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. My only symptom was that my heart would just start getting fast at random times. Eventually, I got things under control. Since then, I haven't had any serious health issues, which I am extremely thankful for.
  • My family. This is a given. I love my family to no end. We've gone through a lot this year, what with my grandpa passing and some other small hardships, but I think it's brought us closer. I love that my mom's side of the family almost all lives in our town, so I get to see them all of the time. And I love how, when we see my dad's side of the family a few times a year, it feels like no time has passed since we last saw them.
  • My friends. My friends, old and new, are wonderful. Over the past year, I've grown apart from some and grown closer with others. I've rekindled friendships I thought had long since ended and sparked brand new friendships that I hope will last for a really long time. I don't know how I would have survived a lot of things without the love and support of my friends. I love them all.
  • My boyfriend. Ok. I know we've only been dating for two weeks. But he's amazingly sweet and nice and fun and wonderful and easy to be around. He makes things a little easier and reminds me not to take everything quite so seriously. And he makes me happy.
  • My job. A lot of college kids are not fortunate enough to have a job, let alone one on campus where you get to do things you love and that apply to your future career with an awesome boss who is very kind and laid back. I may not get a ton of hours or get paid a lot, but I get paid enough to pay for gas and my credit card bill. And I think that's all that really matters.
  • My talents. I don't want to get into this one because I'm afraid it will sound like bragging, but I'm thankful for all of the things I can do well.
  • Having enough to eat/Having a nice home/Being able to go to college/Being able to vote/Having everything I need to live and wonderful people to share it with.
  • You. Blog readers, I'm not sure you know quite how much you mean to me. I really appreciate how kind and funny and just overall wonderful you all are. You're so nice and just plain awesome. I don't know why you like to read my ramblings, but I totally love that you do. You give me the best advice when it comes to my life, and I think you might know me better than some of my friends. So thank you for being you.
Well. I think that was enough sappy cheesiness for today. I hope you all have a wonderful, beautiful day. If you're in America, go stuff yourself with turkey and potatoes and rolls. If you're not, go stuff yourself with other delicious food. And no matter where you are, spend some time today thinking about what you're thankful for. If you want, share it with me. I'd love to hear!

No comments:

Post a Comment