Thursday, May 5, 2011

Summer Can Wait

Location: Brad's Couch
Listening to: Wheel of Fortune


Sorry for not writing sooner! After BEDA, I definitely needed a break. Also, I have the greatest boyfriend in the entire world and last weekend he came home from work with four Harry Potter movies and Lego Harry Potter for his Playstation. And, Internet, I have a confession.

My name is Abbie, and I'm addicted to Lego Harry Potter.

I know it was made for, like, 8-year-old kids, but it is seriously distracting me from studying for finals. Or doing the other things I'd be doing to procrastinate instead of studying for finals. I am nearly done with Year 3, then I have Year 4 (which I'm really looking forward to) and then I can go back and try to get all of the extra things for each level.

Um. Yeah. I might be a nerd.

As it gets closer and closer to finals, I'm less and less excited to go home for summer. I mean, I'm sure it'll be nice to sleep in a non-dorm bed in my own room and have all of my things, but I am not looking forward to being so far away from my boyfriend. Which is silly, because I'm going to be visiting him all the time and he'll be visiting me, so we'll still get to see each other a ton, but not nearly enough.

And there's the whole issue of my friends. As in, I really don't feel like I have any anymore. I still keep in touch with my friends Dani and Dillon, but besides them and occasionally my friend Jess, no one really talks to me anymore. Granted, I don't really talk to anyone else. But just about every time I went home for a break this year, the friends I was closest to the last few years of high school would hang out and kind of forget about me. I don't know if it's something personal or not, but it feels like it is. Which I know is ridiculous. But I've definitely spent the last few times I was home sitting by myself and knowing that the people I would normally be hanging out with were all hanging out with each other without me. And that's a sucky feeling. I don't want my whole summer to be like that.

I have my orientation and training set up for Applebees, so I'll be busy for a few days while that's all going on. My sister graduates from grad school and my brother graduates college. Between work and grad parties and visiting Brad, I probably won't have time to think about sad things like feeling left out or whatever.

Meh. I'm still not looking forward to summer.

More later.

1 comment:

  1. I stumbled across your blog today.

    And I think that, through our joint love for Harry Potter, we could be friends.

    A word about the college-summer-thing: as a (relatively) recent post-grad, I now possess all the wisdom I strove to gain through my collegiate years and have graciously deemed to hand out these nuggets of truth and foresight to the masses!.... and by this I mean, I lived it and now can share with you what it was like for me, if you care to know :-). I don't keep up with anyone from high school, so moving back home after four years of awesome and having real friends has been quite the transition. But even if it feels a tad lonely with the lack of friends back at home, I know that I have all of my school peeps out there to travel to see and call and skype with and whatever else. Transitioning out of college (or just going home for summer vacay) definitely teaches you one thing: it reveals just how important your relationships are, and which ones are worth keeping up with. So go enjoy a break from school and spend time with your boy and maybe see if you can't make a new friend or two. I promise, it doesn't stay lonely and daunting for long. Unless you choose to live in a hole. In that case, I salute you and I wish you luck on your underground lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete