Monday, April 16, 2012

Dying of laughter

Let me tell you a story:

When I was a sophomore in high school about 5 years ago, I rather enjoyed the Twilight series. I'm not proud of that now, but at the time I felt I could totally relate to Bella and that Edward was the perfect man.* I loved that it was a human/vampire romance and I thought that was so unique and interesting.

So, I wrote a story called Once Bitten, Twice Shy about a bartender named Faith who falls in love with mysterious motorcyclist while some equally mysterious murders are happening in their town. Long story short, the motorcyclist is a werewolf and the murders are being committed by his crazy werewolf brother. It ends tragically.

Now, remember, I wrote this story at least 5 years ago. I posted it on a website called Fiction Press where I also shared a lot of my other writings (you can find them through the writing tab up top). People occasionally still comment on it, and it's usually pretty flattering, which I find ridiculous because I'm pretty sure it isn't that great.

Today, I got a message through this website from someone claiming to be an independent publisher who wants to pay me $250 for the rights to my story.

I'm dying of laughter. I asked for their credentials for two reasons. One, I am curious if they are for real. Two, if they are, I am super curious what other things they publish if they want to publish a mostly-crap, Twilight-inspired raving by a 15 year old girl.

I have to leave for my Creative Writing class now (ironic, right?) but I'll keep you updated!

*For the record, I have since outgrown these thoughts. Don't judge me.

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my big fears - that I will get recognized for only the crap that I create and not the stuff I think is really good. Your fan fiction was probably pretty tame compared to some of the stuff that is out there.

    ReplyDelete