Monday, May 17, 2010

Disney deprived

Location: Couch
Listening to: Two and a Half Men
Days til Graduation: 21

Yesterday was mildly exciting. I sang at church in the morning then sat around for a good part of the day. I ended up going to Jess's house in the afternoon to watch Peter Pan because:
 a.) we have to re-write a fairy tale or childrens' story for our psych class and diagnose the characters with psychological disorders and
b.) Peter Pan was our story and
c.) I'd never seen the movie before.

Yes. You read that right. I have been alive for 18 and a half years and have not seen one of the big Disney classics. Actually, I haven't seen Snow White, Bambi, or Sleeping Beauty, either. And I just watched Pinnochio for the first time at work a few weeks ago.

I am a Disney-deprived child. There really isn't any reason why I haven't seen these classics other than...I just haven't. I probably was sat down in front of them when I was a toddler so I stayed occupied, but I don't remember any details from any of them.

Plus, I grew up in the 90's in an era of more highly advanced sound quality and more colorful animation. I thrived on Lion King and Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast. The kinds of movies with fluffy plot lines and pop-y music that my friends and I still love to watch today. Fox and the Hound and Aladin and all of the other 90's Disney - those are the ones I know.

It makes me really sad to know that the kids that are toddlers now will probably only see a few hand-drawn animation movies in their lifetime. Now everything is computer generated and 3D and crazy. Now, don't get me wrong. It's awesome that technology is progressing to the extent that they can make things seem so real and life like. But there's something charming about the way movies were made when I was growing up. It was before 12-year-olds tried to be adults. Before Ambercrombie & Fitch started selling thongs in children's sizes. Before everyone was plugged into the internet 24/7 and chatting over a webcam qualified as face-to-face social interaction.

I know it was only a short time ago in the grand scheme of things, but things were simpler back then. Probably because I was too young to notice the things that were going on. I don't know. I'm just rambling now. Mostly I just wish they would go back to making hand-drawn animated movies. I'm not a fan of this computer animation nonsense.

Anyway, I'm exhausted now. I have to go to the doctor (again) to get tested for mono and get my lungs x-rayed to make sure I don't have pnemonia or blastomycosis or anything like that. In the meantime, I'm going to watch Big Bang Theory and sleep.

3 comments:

  1. You poor Disney deprived person. I love Disney films and have probably seen more than I should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember a time before any of the new crop of Disney films existed as was out of high school by the time 'Beauty and the Beast' came out but fought they brought me the same joy as they brought younger kids. You can stay a kid forever you know. Hope the doctors find nothing wrong with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson wrote some interesting and humorous prequels to the Peter Pan story. They're worth checking out if you're looking for something breezy to read.

    ReplyDelete