Friday, April 1, 2011

Wrong Way

Location: Dorm desk
Listening to: That 70's Show
Days Without Fast Food: 6

It's here! It's finally here! That's right, folks, it's BEDA time! That's how my blog got its start almost exactly one year ago. I stumbled across Hayley's blog, got inspired, and got one of my own. Ever since, I've been a blogging machine. I've been more dedicated to this little project than I have to any journal I've ever kept, and I have kept many, many journals. I think if you guys weren't there giving me support and inspiration, I probably would have quit this, too.

So thanks for giving me a hobby. :)

For BEDA this year, I wanted to do something different. So, each day, I am also going to take a picture and post it. Just a random picture. Some days it might be me, some days (like today), it might be random things I find amusing. Those are some signs I can see from my window. The street is a one-way. Somehow, though, they still decided to put a No Right Turn sign going in the wrong direction. Like, the only way you would see that sign is if you were driving the wrong way to begin with. And if you were driving the wrong way, I highly doubt you carry any sort of regard for road signs.

The other day, I was reading Allyson's brilliant post, and it kind of inspired me a lot. Her post was all about her Facebook fast, and wouldn't it be interesting if there were a Facebook-type thing that only displayed your faults? Because, online, you can portray yourself however you want. You can edit your pictures so you have flawless skin and look 20 pounds skinnier. You can say you speak Finnish and Lebonese and spend all of your time volunteering for good causes, regardless of whether or not it's true. Pretty much, you can make yourself look like some crazy, ideal version of yourself, and those who don't know you that well would never know the difference.

What Allyson asked was, what if Facebook only displayed your faults? If it only showed pictures of you at your early-morning worst and your "About Me" section was filled with embarrassing or shameful facts that you try to hide.

That really got me thinking. How different would the world be if all of the things that make us vulnerable were just out on display for anyone and everyone to see? If everyone knew everything you always wished no one would ever find out? Do you think people would continue to go out of their way to protect their pride? Or would things like pride and vulnerability just cease to exist?

I mean, I think things would be a lot more boring if that were the case. Our deep, dark secrets are what give us depth as people. Everything would be all two-dimensional, like watching a movie, if we already knew everything.

It's just interesting to think about things like that. Allyson, thanks for the inspiration! What do the rest of you think? What would the world be like if we had nowhere to hide?

2 comments:

  1. "I stumbled across Hayley's blog, got inspired, and got one of my own. Ever since, I've been a blogging machine. I've been more dedicated to this little project than I have to any journal I've ever kept, and I have kept many, many journals."

    Oh man, sounds exactly like me.

    I'm glad you enjoyed my post, and I'm glad it got people thinking. Looking forward to reading your blog every day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am obsessive about letting my faults show because I would hate to have someone meet me and be disappointed because I was not some god I claimed to me. Best to start as a loser and they can be nothing but impressed by the truth. I like to keep expectations as low as possible.

    ReplyDelete