Wednesday, August 11, 2010

mmmbooks

Location: Couch
Listening to: Reba
Days til College: 16

I'm sitting here munching on Target brand Swedish Fish and thoroughly enjoying life. Yesterday I went shopping. I intended to spend $100 and save $50 to pay my credit card bill when it comes. I'm not used to having a credit card (I only got it a week or two ago) and mine has a crazy high interest rate because it's for students so it's supposedly teaching me to pay off my bill right away or suffer the consequences. However, in spite of my frugal planning, I ended up spending $140. I saved $10, so I think that has to count for something. And in my defense, several of my purchases can be used for college.

I bought a new pair of shoes and received half off the next pair I buy. And I got a purse with an across-the-body strap, so I can wear it while riding my bike around campus. And some sharpies. And, of course, my swedish fish. Also, after much internal conflict over intrinsic vs. extrinsic (I honestly didn't know 'extrinsic' was  a real word until I typed it just now and autocorrect didn't correct me) value, I spent $22 on a shirt that proclaims me to be a "District 12 Tribute". I literally nearly choked on my own tongue and died when I saw it because I was that excited.

This is a Hunger Games reference. If you still haven't read it, GO AND GET IT RIGHT NOW!!!! It's only about $8 on Amazon. You will not regret it, unless you hate awesomeness.

Yesterday I compiled a list of the books I'm going to bring to college. It took most of a 6 mile bike ride for me to narrow the list down to a reasonable number. This is what it is right now. It's subject to change. I'll probably bring another 20 because I'll be unable to part with them.

Books I'm Bringing To College:

The Hunger Games by Susan Collins
Catching Fire by Susan Collins
Mockingjay by Susan Collins
Sloppy Firsts by Megan McCafferty
Second Helpings by Megan McCafferty
Charmed Thirds
by Megan McCafferty
Fourth Comings by Megan McCafferty
Perfect Fifths by Megan McCafferty
Looking for Alaska by John Green
An Abundance of Katherines by John Green
Paper Towns by John Green
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
The Portable Dorothy Parker by Dorothy Parker
The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
Nick and Norah's Inifnite Playlist by Rachel Cohen and David Levithan
The Gurnsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows 
Love is a Mixtape by Rob Sheffield

I'm excited. I keep thinking of new books to bring, though, and that's a problem considering my limited space.  Oh well. I'll figure it out.

Last night, I received an unsolicited and altogether unexpected apology from ExBoyfriend #3. He's the one I dated last summer with whom things ended rather badly after I found out he kissed my friend/his exgirlfriend while we were "together". I was totally thrown for a loop. He sent me some texts saying he's sorry for everything bad that happened and reminding me that I'm an awesome/talented person. And then I helped him with some songs he's writing.

It's kind of nice to be friends with him again. We did a lot of creative writing/songwriting critique with each other. It's cool to be able to do that again. Honestly, I haven't done a whole lot of songwriting and just creative writing for enjoyment lately besides for a class I took first semester last year. I want to get back into that. But it's hard to find time what with blogging and YouTube and making kick ass blankets out of old shirts and planning for college.

Speaking of YouTube, I uploaded a few videos last night. I'm thinking of also starting a book review series. Mostly because of that Hunger Games shirt I was talking about. Lame? Or good idea?

Also, remember when I mentioned doing some collaborating with my friend Lindsey of DesultoryDevelopment? Well, we got together today and made a video full of all kinds of random awesomeness. She's editing up and then it will be uploaded on both of our channels. So stay tuned!

I have a huge favor to ask of you guys: I see you all as loyal friends and confidants, so I trust your opinions and love to hear your thoughts. Is there anything you'd like me to blog/vlog about? I'd love to get some ideas from you guys and do some posts or videos about what you guys want to hear about or see. So please, if you have anything you'd like to hear my thoughts on or think it'd be entertaining to see, let me know! :)

1 comment:

  1. That's a lot of books! I was the same way my freshman year, though, because I brought all of these books with the intention of reading them during the year, but then school got in the way and I got all "lay on the floor"-y and never touched them.

    You learn to curb the book load depending on whether or not you know how time consuming your classes are and the joys of other commitments. As of now, I have the complete works of JD Salinger, my Nook, and this book called St. Dale on my book shelf in my college apartment not counting class books.

    It makes me sad that I don't have all of my books with me!!

    And also, it's nice to be friends with Ex-boyfriends, sometimes they end up being better friends then boyfriends.

    ReplyDelete